Monday, November 12, 2007

Early Onset Alzheimer's

What a cheery title. My sister-in-law works for the Alzheimer's association, so I realize it's not a joking matter, but weird things have been going on with my brain recently. Like, a few weeks ago, I was walking my dog, and when I got to the back gate of my apartment, I just stood there blankly trying to remember the door code. The one that I punch in two or three times a day. I just couldn't remember it. I mashed a few random buttons before I decided to walk around to the front of the building and see if someone had accidentally left it open. At that exact moment, a drunk guy practically ran across the street to talk to me, holding his plastic cup of whatever it was he had become intoxicated on and began hitting on me. Now, this happens with some regularity on my street, not because I'm all that hot or anything (well, maybe a little bit because I'm hot), but because there are a lot of drunk men hanging around. Beer goggles and all that. More like malt whisky goggles. Anyway, I fended him off by telling him my dog was mean (which is true) and mentioning my husband. It's amazing that even drunk, semi-homeless men respect the sanctity of marriage, but they really do.

So that event was weird with the forgetting of the door code, but weirder was that last night I was trying to use my microwave, and I was just standing in front of it, completely lost as to how it worked. I read once that the difference between normal "brainfarts" from something really serious like Alzheimer's is, for example, that everyone forgets their keys - that's completely normal and everyone does it, sometimes multiple times a day. You should get worried if you look down at your keys, and you don't know what they're used for. I don't feel a really need to worry about that because I know what microwaves are for: microwaves are for heating up Hot Pockets. But I honestly had no idea which buttons to push to make it work. I actually had to read the words written on the buttons to figure it out. Weird.

1 comment:

yotababy said...

I've totally had moments like that before, usually when I am feeling stressed out or severely sleep-deprived. I'm sure that's all it is.

Also, brains are weird.