Thursday, August 14, 2008

Time for My Mom to Come Over

I was telling my friend Lara some time ago about how every time my mom comes over we seem to have an embarrassing amount of empty wine/beer/liquor bottles sitting on our kitchen floor that I have to clean up lest she see them. Let me explain - we recycle these items, so they don't just go in the trash, and we are often too lazy to take them out onto the balcony to our recycle bin. Therefore, there will often be a month or two's worth of empty bottles on the floor. But, of course, my mom wouldn't know that. She would immediately assume that we had drunk all of that alcohol last night all by ourselves.

Anyway, a month or two ago Lara came over to our apartment, took a survey of the empty bottles and said, "It looks like it's about time for your mom to come over." It was about the funniest thing she's ever said to me because right as she said it, I realized that my mom was, in fact, coming over the very next day!

So, on Monday or Tuesday Jonathan took the recycling out, including all the empty bottles (which, incidentally were mostly plastic juice bottles this time around, but still...). As he was doing it, I realized that my mom was coming over on Thursday. I burst out laughing. You really can gauge my mother's visits on the amount of empty bottles on our floor. So thanks, Lara, for making me laugh at my own mess and cheering me up as I have to clean it (or Jonathan does in this case). Chores are always easier when you're laughing.

1 comment:

yotababy said...

Ha ha ha--happy to be of service!