Sunday, June 22, 2008

Sitka, Alaska

On the cruise's 2nd day, we ported in Sitka which doesn't have a deep enough harbor for the cruise ships, so we all had to pile into the lifeboats and tender to shore. I was excited about this port because Sitka was a Russian colony, not a US colony, and I figured I would learn a little something something while I was there. I was pretty wrong. It was full of jewelry and chatchki shops (hey - is that a Russian word?). I wanted to go to the Orthodox Cathedral, but they CHARGED YOU TO GO TO CHURCH! It was $2 just to get in the door. Considering I am morally and religiously opposed to charging people for walking in church doors, I skipped it. My brother made a comment about how I should have gone and overturned all the tables. I should have. I could have brought a whip and screamed, "You vipers' brood!" That would have been awesome. The Russian Orthodox church in Nice also charges. What's the deal, Russian Orthodoxy? Why so greedy?

Anyway, I was pretty disappointed in the town. I only took two pictures: one of our boat from the shore, and one of Jonathan in front of the "Pioneer's Home." I don't really even know what that is, but it's on all the postcards. Ha! It might have been better if we had signed up for an organized excursion at this port. Ah, well. We did see like 20 bald eagles just flying around, though, which was very cool.


No comments: