Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Ketchikan, Alaska



Once again, we had no organized excursions at this port. We did step off the ship, but little did we know we were wandering into the biggest tourist trap I have ever seen! We only walked around for about 30 minutes, then went back to our ship. My dad went to the lumberjack show which had a really cheesy description in the excursion book, but he said it was great. They did a bunch of carvings and log rolling, and he said it was really entertaining. So, a word to the wise for you guys who may take a cruise to Alaska in the future - I would sign up for the lumberjack show in Ketchikan if I were you. Apparently it's worth it.

We only took one picture of the town which is too bad because on the way into town, it was float plane central. It was pretty cool to watch the planes taking off and landing, then rolling up onto the land runway. I had never seen anything like that before. It was cool! But no pictures. Boo.

2 comments:

The Kilcoynes said...

Cool! Alaska is on my I-need-to-go-there list!

Mindy said...

I love Ketchikan-- I guess I missed the tourist trap. I was on my honeymoon though so everything was of course 100% bigger and brighter. I think Ketchikan is where we were on the 20 person canoe and we were the only english speakers!