Friday, February 15, 2008

Which Way to the Vomitorium?

So, last night's dinner was really good. Except that I ate like three pieces of duck and then had to go VOMIT. Not because it was bad, though. I'd had a stomachache all day, and I guess the digestive tea I had been drinking didn't mix well with the food or something. Jonathan was fine. So, we held off the cheese and dessert part until tonight. This is the second Valentine's Day in a row that I've vomited. One more time, and it'll be tradition.

Here's my review of my own cooking (so pretentious, I know):

Warm scallop salad: Excellent, although I put too much olive oil in the vinaigrette, and you could barely taste the blood orange juice which, while I was juicing them, I had to force myself not to lick off my fingers it was so good. The wine pairing was OK, but not perfect. The scallops were beautiful.

Cream of sorrel soup: Delicious! I loved it. And the potatoes were great with it - those people really knew what they were talking about when they suggested that. Plus, when I put the little hash brown pancake into the soup, it made a very satisfying sizzling noise - like fajitas. I had never had sorrel before; it tastes kind of lemon-y and interesting. The wine tasted almost briny; it had a salty quality to it that really complimented the citrus taste in the soup, and the pairing was really good. The biggest success I've had so far, I think, in choosing wines to go with food.

Passionfruit sorbet: Let me just put it this way - when I was licking the rubber spatula after I made this, I had a little sorbet orgasm. A sorgasm.

Duck Breast with Sour Cherries: This was good. I barely ate any, so maybe I will be more excited about this today after I eat it for lunch. The sauce was good, cherries good, duck a little overcooked, but not chewy or anything. I didn't like the wine. But, I think that's just my personal preference. Also, it bothers me that on the wine label it says, "a classic combination with lamp, duck, and other game." Lamp? Really? Anyway, I'll let you know how it tastes with the cheese. Maybe it will be different.

2 comments:

yotababy said...

Your food sounds really good--I totally want to try that cream of sorrel soup now. Hash brown pancake? How could I resist lemon-y soup with a hash brown pancake in it? And I've never had duck, I don't think. Did you get the recipes from The Fancy Book? Can I call it that? The Fancy Book? Because I think it's funny.

Also, it totally SUCKS that you were sick again this year! Hopefully it will NOT become a tradition!

Mentanna said...

i want to sigh up for this meal when we come to visit you this summer. a sorgasm? really. hmmmm.