Saturday, February 16, 2008

The Oscars

So, I'm doing better this year than the previous few years as far as actually watching the Oscar-nominated movies. I have actually seen 3 out of the 5 Best Picture nominees. That's more than half! My People magazine this week gives their picks, and in the spirit of Oscar season, here are mine (these are the ones I WANT to win, not the ones I necessarily think will actually win):

Best Picture:
Atonement ***
Juno
Michael Clayton
No Country for Old Men
There Will Be Blood

Best Actor:
George Clooney, Michael Clayton
Daniel Day-Lewis, There Will Be Blood
Johnny Depp, Sweeney Todd*** (I didn't see it, but Johnny deserves a turn)
Tommy Lee Jones, In the Valley of Elah
Viggo Mortensen, Eastern Promises

Best Actress:
Cate Blanchett, Elizabeth: The Golden Age
Julie Christie, Away From Her
Marion Cotillard, La Vie en Rose***
Laura Linney, The Savages
Ellen Page, Juno

Best Supporting Actress:
Cate Blanchett, I'm Not There
Ruby Dee, American Gangster
Saoirse Ronan, Atonement
Amy Ryan, Gone Baby Gone
Tilda Swinton, Michael Clayton***(I actually didn't think she was all that great, but the only other one I've seen is Atonement, and that little girl doesn't deserve an Oscar for that)

Best Supporting Actor:
Casey Affleck, The Assassination of Jesse James, etc.***(just b/c I love him)
Javier Bardem, No Country for Old Men
Philip Seymour Hoffman, Charlie Wilson's War
Hal Holbrook, Into the Wild
Tom Wilkinson, Michael Clayton

Best Director:
Who cares? I think Atonement should get it, but that guy's not even nominated. I'm boycotting this category on those grounds.

Best Original Screenplay: Juno

No comments: