Thursday, January 3, 2008


The cleaning ladies broke my grandmother's vase. This is the 3rd time they have broken something, and I tried to fire them, but I got talked into giving them one more chance.

Part of me feels guilty for being mad. It's a luxury to have someone else clean your house, and if I don't want anything to get broken, I should just do it myself and be careful. Of course accidents happen. But I made the lady show me what happened, and what happened was pure carelessness.

This vase and a conch shell were the only things I asked for from my grandmother's house after she died. They both lived in her bathroom, and at one time the nails on this vase were painted. With nail polish. Hilarious. I know it's ugly and tacky, but it was hers, and I remember her every single time I look at it. And now it's broken and I'm sad.

I might re-break it and see if I can't get more pieces to fit so there aren't two huge gaping holes in the thumb, and maybe I can get the rim to not be crooked. I'm sad that I might throw it away someday now. I really want to keep it.

I forgot to take a picture of it all in pieces, so I just have a picture of the glued-together version.

5 comments:

Helen said...

Okay, so now I have to comment. I'm really sorry that happened. That is one of the reasons that I won't hire a service right now. I also told my dad that I'd put some breakable heirlooms up in the closet for a while. Some things are just irreplaceable. That being said, there used to be a lady in Houston that would repair stuff like that and she did a great job. Maybe there is someone where you live? It would probably take a lot of phone calls but it is an option. Be sure to keep al the pieces. On another note, let me know when you get around to doing the family history. I will have to be reminded tons to send you my stuff. How much do you want? Lot's of the stuff is from internet research and has not been confirmed. Again, I'm sorry about the vase. I know how you feel. Helen

yotababy said...

Oh no! I kind of feel like it's partly our fault for recommending those people to you guys--I can't believe how many problems you've had with them! We've been thinking about having them come back and clean our place again, but I don't think I want to hire them back after all this.

Anyway...sorry.

yotababy said...

Oh, and P.S.--What is this new picture you have up? Where was that? I love it!

Laura said...

Thanks, Helen. On your advice, I found someone who repairs this kind of thing. I asked for an estimate. Thanks for the tip - I didn't realize there were people who did that.

Laura said...

It's not your fault, Lara. I should have fired them after the second time. And I still haven't fired them! What is wrong with me?

The picture is from our trip to Quebec in 2005. That's Quebec City in the background. It was a very cute place, even (especially?) in the middle of winter.