Saturday, December 1, 2007

Allow myself to introduce...myself.

Pet peeve - when people use "myself" incorrectly. This problem is especially common among beauty pageant contestants, and it must be stopped! Here's a short lesson on how to use the word correctly.

Example: Dave and myself won the race. NOOOOO! The correct word to use in this instance is "I." Dave and I won the race.

Here's another example: The race was rigged against Dave and myself. NOOOOO! The correct word to use here is "me." The race was rigged against Dave and me.

But, Laura, when CAN you use "myself"? Answer: When the subject of your sentence is "I." For example, I rigged the race against myself. or I won the race myself.

You can also use it for emphasis: I myself also believe the race was rigged. Although this use is redundant, it is not incorrect.

There. Anyone who reads this blog should expect ridicule (and judgment) from me if they use this word wrong.

No comments: