Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Donatian and Rogatian

Saints of the Day: Donatian and Rogatian. They were brothers from Nantes who were martyred together. I took my outfit idea from the coat of arms of the city of Nantes which is really pretty:



I took the red and green and made this:



I also wore my anchor necklace as a nod to the nautical theme. I've been wanting a higher quality nautically-themed necklace for while, and I was looking for them online this week when I saw a bunch of astrolabes for sale. Astrolabes are medieval navigational instruments for determining the positions of the heavenly bodies. They are usually pretty big and not suitable for making jewelry out of, but then I found this:



WANT! I could totally make a necklace out of it. I wish it weren't so European and so expensive.


I've also discovered the timer button on my camera and my husband bought me a little tripod a while back, so I am experimenting with taking my own pictures. Here's me not quite making it in time:



Household Chore: I unloaded the dishwasher. Yay for me. It's pretty sad that I consider that a victory, but really I do.


Reading:

Old English: Bede's account of the Conversion of King Edwin, sentences 11-19, in which the king's advisors use a lot of strange similes to say they don't really have a problem with converting to Christianity


Middle English: Pearl. People love this poem. It's nice. I just really don't enjoy the super-religious subject matter.


Contemporary American: Beloved, pp. 210-end. So good, but sooooo sad.


Workout: Yes! 45 mins.


Food:

Breakfast: Oatmeal and fruit

Lunch: Amy's Non-Dairy Vegetable Pot Pie

Dinner: Creole Steak with garlic mashed potatoes and asparagus

Snack: Cheddar bunnies and a glass of milk

No comments: