Thursday, May 26, 2011

Augustine of Canterbury

Saint of the Day: Augustine of Canterbury, not to be confused with Augustine of Hippo. Augustine of Canterbury was sent by Pope Gregory I to evangelize England. Augustine landed in Kent, and luckily the queen there was a Germanic princess who was also already a Christian. Although her husband was a pagan at the time, out of courtesy to his wife's faith, he allowed Augustine to start a mission in Canterbury. He had great success in converting the English, but the Celts didn't like him because they accused him of being a suck-up to the pope. In any case, Augustine founded the abbey which eventually became Canterbury Cathedral. The seal of Canterbury Cathedral looks like this:








So, my outfit looks like this:



And my toes just happen to be painted to match!





Household Chores: My absolute failure to do the chores I've set for myself has resulted in me giving this goal up entirely. I think I'm going to have to dedicate a weekend day to doing all the chores I meant to do during the week. But right now, it's just my absolute last priority.



Reading:


Old English: Wulf and Eadwacer, a poem of 19 lines which has caused much confusion and argument among scholars of Anglo-Saxon. Basically it's a about a woman who is lamenting the absence of her husband or lover, or possibly both. The woman is anonymous. Her husband name is Wulf, and her lover's name is Eadwacer. Or maybe the other way around - it's not clear. Or it's possible that Eadwacer isn't actually anyone's name, but is a sarcastic term describing Wulf, so there's no second man. And they probably have a kid, but maybe not. Yeah. So, it might take me a while to translate this one due to the 1500 years or so of confusion it has caused.



Middle English: Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, Books 3 and 4.



Contemporary American: The Things They Carried, pp. 62-116.



Workout: Yes! 45 mins!



Food:


Breakfast: toast and cherries, coffee


Lunch: open-faced salami sandwich (aka a "Kolya" sandwich) and milk


Dinner: eating out with Erin! Looking forward to it!


Snack: kiwis

No comments: