Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Chair of St. Peter

So, when I was doing research for this day, I was very surprised to learn that Jan 18 is the feast of the "Chairing of St. Peter at Rome." What on earth? So, I looked into it, and it's basically a celebration of the office of pope. The chair is actually the chair on which the Pope used to sit in St. Peter's cathedral. Here's a picture:



I'm studying for a Latin exam that I have to take this semester, and to prepare I'm translating the Legenda Aurea (Golden Legend) which is a collection of saints' lives from the 13th century. So, I'm basing my outfits around the saints in that book and the stories it tells about them. The Golden Legend doesn't include a section on St. Peter's chair in Rome, but it does have an entry for St. Peter's chair in Antioch. That feast day is usually Feb. 22, but I'm using it today.

As you can see, the chair of St. Peter in Rome is a rather elaborate affair. It's actually kind of a plain wooden chair, but in the 17th century, a baroque reliquary was built for it made of bronze.
So, I took that ornate decoration as my inspiration:


I'm actually wearing two pairs of tights. The undertights are shiny and gold. The overtights are patterned netting. This was a fun outfit to wear and very comfortable!

1 comment:

Nana Erin said...

really flattering, and I love the layered tights. I feel like you are getting more and more adventurous with your outfits. <3