Friday, August 8, 2008

Laura Does Not Share Food

I have come to a small epiphany recently on my weirdness about sharing food. It used to be that I thought I just didn't like to share food, period. But I realized that it's not so much the sharing that bothers me as the timing:

1) If the waiter has just put my plate down in front of me, and you ask for a bite, I am going to say "No." Or if you are my husband I will roll my eyes, sigh, and say, "Oooooookay."

2) If I have a knife and fork in my hand and I am actively eating the food on my plate, and you ask for some, I am going to say "No." Or if you are my husband I will get tight lips, give you a look, then cut you a very small piece.

3) If I have put down my utensils and stopped eating and you ask me for a bite of what I have left on my plate, I will say, "Sure, eat the rest of it if you want."

See the difference? If I am eating or intending to eat the food on my plate, I am not going to share it with you. I might want to eat it all. It might just be that good. Or I might just be that hungry. Eat your own food. If you still want mine when we're both done, you can have it.

1 comment:

The Kilcoynes said...

I understand! There is a difference. You are a bit nicer than I can be. I order the food that I want to eat. If someone wants the food on my plate, they should have ordered it!