Saturday, December 15, 2007

Druncles

I had a conversation this week about how everyone's got at least one "druncle" - an uncle that gets drunk at family events and causes a scene, possibly groping his female relatives and cursing loudly. I don't really have that uncle. The closest thing I have to a druncle is my dad's brother, who I hear drinks quite a bit, but who has never caused a scene at any family events I have attended. Of course, it probably helps that we don't serve alcohol at our family events. That substantially lowers the druncle potential.

I got some bad news about Uncle Ron this morning. He has terminal cancer, and they don't think he'll make it to see 2008. I don't know how I feel about this. I'm sad, of course. I am trying to remember what he's like since we only saw him once every three years or so. It took him a while to get it together, but at this stage in his life, he has a good job, he has been married for almost 10 years, and by anyone's standard's, he is successful. I remember when I was 4 years old, we visited him in New Orleans, and he gave me Mardi Gras coins. I think I still have those somewhere.

I think I'm mostly sad for my father. He lost his dad in 2003, his mom last year, and now his little brother is dying. He lives in the Middle East, so he's trying hard to come home as soon as possible so he can get here before it's too late. Besides my brother and me, Uncle Ron is his closest relative. Once he's gone, my dad will be the only one left of the family he grew up in. He's way too young for that to be the case. I really hope he makes it back in time to say goodbye.

So I am preparing to have to fly to Jackson at the drop of a hat sometime this week or next. Jonathan probably won't come, but for the first time since early childhood I feel comfortable enough with my dad's family that I don't feel like I need Jonathan there. I wish there was more I could do besides just wait for the phone call.

No comments: