Tuesday, September 14, 2010

St. Notburga

St. Notburga lived in Rattenburg, Austria in the 13th century. She was a cook in the house of a nobleman, and she used to sneak food to the poor. At another job she had, she refused to skip mass in order to work, and when her boss tried to insist on it, she threw her sickle up into the air and exclaimed, "Let my sickle be the judge between me and you!" The sickle miraculously remained suspended in the air. I presume her boss let her go to church after that, although the Catholic Encyclopedia does not mention it. In her iconography, she is often depicted with a sickle and/or flowers, and she is the patron saint of peasants. That's a nice medieval notion!
Well, medieval peasants make me think of earth tones: grays and browns. So, my outfit is gray and brown:

No comments: