Wednesday, September 22, 2010

St. Maurice

Today is the feast day of St. Maurice. St. Maurice was an Egyptian man who lived during the 5th century, and served as a soldier in the Roman army in Thebes. When he deserted the army after refusing to make sacrifices to the Roman gods, the emperor had him and his fellow deserters killed. Since he was a soldier, Maurice is usually depicted as wearing armor, but the most striking thing about him is that he is also very often depicted as black due to his Egyptian origins. Here is a 13th century statue of him from Magdeburg Cathedral in Germany:



For today's outfit, I went with the Egyptian theme:




I'm realizing looking at this picture that the really Egyptian things about this outfit are the accessories which you can't really see. I have a hieroglyph necklace that spells out my name, scarab earrings, and a peacock feather headband. I chose the blue shirt, though, from a little Egyptian hippo statue in the Louvre:



So cute, right? They make replicas of it that they sell in the gift shop, but we were so poor when we lived in France I never bought one for myself. My birthday's tomorrow, though (hint, hint).

No comments: