Wednesday, August 25, 2010

St. Monica

St. Monica was the mother of St. Augustine. She had a very close relationship to her son, and he tells several stories about her in his "Confessions." The most interesting one to me involved a brush with childhood alcoholism. Her parents asked her to fetch some wine from the cellar, and she snuck a sip or two and discovered she liked it. She continued to sneak down to the wine cellar for illicit sips of wine for for some time until one of her neighbors ratted her out. The shame was just too much for her and she quit drinking altogether.

Since she was born in Algeria, I went with more of an African theme for today's outfit. I realize Algeria is not very similar to sub-Saharan Africa, but I don't have any clothes that look North African. So, I went with animal print.

This top is a hand-me-down from my friend Erin and I got the skirt at Target like 6 years ago. The jewelry is all actually from Africa. J bought them for me when he went to West Africa in 2002. I bought the purse from a student last year, and I absolutely love it!

1 comment:

Nana Erin said...

I love the pattern mixing with the bag and blouse!