Wednesday, January 23, 2008

My Australian Boyfriend Is Dead

I must have talked about Heath Ledger a lot after I saw "10 Things I Hate About You," because when "The Patriot" came out, Jonathan said to me, "Hey, your Australian boyfriend is in it." Normally, I'm pretty unaffected by celebrity goings-on. I mean, I like to see what they're wearing, what projects they're working on, and who they're dating, but I'm not all that interested in their details. So, I'm surprised at how much I'm thinking about him today after learning of his death yesterday. He was so young. He wasn't obviously crazy. He rarely made headlines except for when he was actually in a movie he was promoting. He was really talented. I am really looking forward to seeing him as the Joker, and I'm sad I won't get to enjoy his performance in any more movies. I'm sad for the people who actually knew and cared about him. His daughter won't remember him. My fellow grad students and I wrote a screenplay last summer with him in mind. Who's going to play Troilus now?

No comments: